Felix George Fleischner (1893 – 1969) was an Austrian radiologist.
251 publications – dealing with the pathogenesis and diagnosis of lung disease through the use of the chest X-ray.
Fleischner publsihed extensively on the chest XR changes relating to pulmonary embolus and pulmonary infarction and collated related findings to create a structured approach to diagnosis. He is eponymously affiliated with the Fleischner sign; one of several described CXR signs of pulmonary embolus.
- Born 1893 Vienna, Austria
- 1919 – Graduated, University of Vienna Medical School
- 1920 – Radiologist at Wilhelminen Hospital
- 1932 – Chief of Radiology at Vienna Children’s Hospital
- 1938 – Moved to Boston, USA after Austria was annexed by Germany
- 1942 – Boston’s Beth Israel Hospital, becoming Chair of radiology in 1945
- 1952 – Professor of radiology at Harvard
- 1969 – Was due to join a group of 8 radiologists in the forming a new society to study chest disease through the medium of chest roentgology. Unfortunately died suddenly whilst swimming in August 1969. Society posthumously named the Fleischner Society in his honour at the first meeting in November 1969
- Fleischner sign (1959) prominent dilated central pulmonary artery. Associated with pulmonary hypertension or large pulmonary embolus causing distension.
- Fleischner lines: horizontal dense lines of atelectasis and healed infarction, often seen in the lower lung fields and vary from barely visible lines to shadows of about 5 mm in thickness. They are usually located about 1 to 3 cm above the dome of the diaphragm.
- The Fleischner Society: an international, multidisciplinary medical society for thoracic radiology, dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the chest.
- Fleischner F. Plattenformige Atelektasen in der Unterlappen der Lunge. Fortschritte auf dem Gebiete der Röntgenstrahlen und der Nuklearmedizin 1936; 54: 315-321. [Fleischner lines]
- Fleischner F, Hampton AO, Castleman B. Linear shadows in the lung. American Journal of Roentgenology 1941; 46: 610-618.
- Fleischner FG. Pulmonary embolism. Can Med Assoc J. 1958 May 1; 78(9): 653–660. [PMC1829877]
- Fleischner F. Unilateral pulmonary embolism with increased compensatory circulation through the unoccluded lung. Radiology 1959; 73: 591-597 [Fleischner sign]
- Fleischner F. Roentgen diagnosis of pulmonary embolism. Heart Bull. 1961 Nov-Dec;10:104-7. [PMID 13893511]
- Fleischner FG. Pulmonary embolism. Clin Radiol. 1962 Jul;13:169-82. [PMID 13893510]
- Obituary: Felix Fleischner, MD, FFR (Hon.) Br. J. Radiol 1969; 42 :947
- Fraser RG, Mellins RB. The Fleischner Society: a 30th anniversary retrospective. Radiology. 2000 Mar;214(3):631-2. [PMID 10715021]
- FELIX FLEISCHNER (1893-1969): EXPELLED 1938 . Distributed 1938 – VAN SWIETEN blo
- Maizlin ZV, Cooperberg PL, Clement JJ, Vos PM, Coblentz CL. People Behind Exclusive Eponyms of Radiologic Signs (Part I) Can Assoc Radiol J. 2009 Oct;60(4):201-12. [PMID 19647394]
- Maizlin ZV, Cooperberg PL, Clement JJ, Vos PM, Coblentz CL. People Behind Exclusive Eponyms of Radiologic Signs (Part II) Can Assoc Radiol J. 2010 Feb;61(1):44-53. [PMID 20018475]
the person behind the name