Henry Cuthbert Bazett (1885 – 1950) was an English physiologist.
Main area of work was the application of physiological research to clinical problems. He perfected an exact technique for studying temperature changes in circulating blood, and showed the importance of the venal comites in the pre-cooling of the arterial blood by the returning venous blood.
Eponymously affiliated with Bazett formula to calculate corrected QT interval (QTc) for varying heart rates. In 1920 Bazett related the corrected QT interval to the square root of the RR interval (Bazett formula) independent of the relationship defined by Fridericia (1920) the duration of the QT interval was related to the cube root of the RR interval (Fridericia’s formula)
- Born 25 June 1885 Gravesend, England
- Educated at Oxford University: BA 1908; MB BCh. 1911; MS 1913; MD 1920
- 1910 – Physiology demonstrator St Thomas’s Hospital
- 1912-1914 Radcliffe travelling Fellowship, Harvard University
- 1914-1918 – medical officer in the British Army (RAMC); Order of the British Empire (OBE); Military Cross
- 1919 – Lecturer in Physiology, Oxford University
- 1921 – Professor of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania (holding chair until his untimely death)
- 1941-43 – Visiting professor of medical research, University of Toronto (aviation research)
- 1946 – Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- 1950 – President of the American Physiological Society
- Died 11 July 1950. Died on a ship bound for the International Physiological Congress in Copenhagen
Bazett formula (1920)
Bazett formula ‘corrects’ the measured QT interval to a value (QTc) attributable to a heart rate of 60 bpm. Thus providing a QT interval value that a particular patient would theoretically have if their heart rate was 60 beats/min
- Bazett HC. An analysis of the time-relations of electrocardiograms. Heart. 1920;7:353-70.
- Roguin A. Henry Cuthbert Bazett (1885-1950)–the man behind the QT interval correction formula. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2011 Mar;34(3):384-8. [PMID 21091739]
- Obituary: H.C. Bazett. Br Med J 1950;2:220
- Obituary: Henry Cuthbert Bazett. The Lancet, Volume 256, Issue 6625, 309
- Biography: Bazett, Henry Cuthbert (1885 – 1950). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Henry Cuthbert Bazett. 22nd APS President (1950). American Physiological Society
- Edholm OG. Prof. H. C. Bazett. Nature. 1950 Dec 2;166(4231):933-4
- Burns E. The QT Interval. LITFL
- Eponymythology. History of the Electrocardiogram. LITFL
the person behind the name