Sir Astley Paston Cooper (1768 – 1841) British surgeon and anatomist.
“If you are too fond of new remedies, first you will not cure your patients; secondly, you will have no patients to cure“
“It is the surgeon’s duty to tranquillize the temper, to beget cheerfulness, and to impart confidence of recovery.” Cooper’s Lectures on surgery
- Born August 23, 1768 Norfolk
- Died February 12, 1841, London
- Cooper’s disease – multiple, benign cystic growths in the breast
- One of the first to describe: Tillaux Fracture
- Cooper AP. On dislocation of the ankle joints. In: A treatise on dislocations and on fractures of the joints. London, 1822 [AKA – Tillaux Fracture]
- Cooper A. A treatise on dislocations, and on fractures of the joints. London: Longman; 1824. [pp473–476] [Plate XXVIII Fig 1,2] [AKA – Galleazi fracture]
- Fresquet JL. Astley Paston Cooper (1768-1841). Historia de la Medicina.
- Archive: COOPER, Sir Astley Paston (1768-1841). King’s College London College Archives
the person behind the name