Sven-Ivar Seldinger (1921 – 1998) was a Swedish Radiologist.
Most well remembered for developing the Seldinger Technique a technique for safe percutaneous access to vessels and hollow organs that is widely used today.
Using the technique, he pioneered a number of procedures including percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography.
He is regarded as a forefather of interventional radiology
- Born 19 April 1921 Mora, Sweden
- Family renown for making the famous Mora clocks.
- 1940-1948 studied medicine at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm
- Karolinska hospital where he started his residence in Radiology and stayed until 1966.
- During this period he was introduced to angiography and developed the Seldinger technique as we know it today.
- After a short stint in academia and teaching in Gothenburg he returned to his home town Mora as head of the Department of Radiology
- 1984 – Honorary Doctor of the Faculty of Medicine, Uppsala University
- 1986 – Retired from medical practice.
- Died 21 February 1998 Dalecarlia, Sweden
Key Medical Attributions:
- More about medical contributions
- Seldinger Technique (1953)
- Seldinger SI. Catheter replacement of the needle in percutaneous arteriography – a new technique. Acta Radiol 1953;39:368-376.
- Bernéus B, Carlsten A, Holmgren A, Seldinger SI. Percutaneous catheterization of peripheral arteries as a method for blood sampling. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1954;6:217-221.
- Seldinger SI, Edholm P. Percutaneous catheterization of the renal artery. Acta Radiol 1956;45:15-20.
- Seldinger SI. Visualization of aortic and arterial occlusion by percutaneous puncture and catheterization of peripheral arteries. Angiology 1957;8:73-96.
- Seldinger SI. A simple method of catheterization of the spleen and liver. Acta Radiol 1957;48:93-96.
- Seldinger SI, Arner O, Hagberg S. Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography. Puncture of dilated and non-dilated bile ducts under roentgen television control. Surgery 1962;52:561-571.
- Seldinger SI, Sundblad R. Splenic regulation of portal flow in man. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1963;15:380-387.
- Seldinger SI. Insertion of catheter by cannula replacement. In: Vascular roentgenology. New York: Macmillan, 1964:33-40.
- Seldinger SI. Percutaneous transhepatic cholangiography. Acta Radiol Suppl 1966;253 (Thesis).
- Any gossip
- Archive. Sven-Ivar Seldinger urn: sbl: 5858. Swedish biographical dictionary [SBL Reference]
- Higgs ZC, Macafee DA, Braithwaite BD, Maxwell-Armstrong CA. The Seldinger technique: 50 years on. Lancet. 2005 Oct 15-21;366(9494):1407-9 [PMID 16226619]
- Nyman U. Sven-Ivar Seldinger 1921-1998. Seldinger Sällskapet för Vaskulär och Interventionell Radiologi.
- Greitz T. Sven-Ivar Seldinger. American Journal of Neuroradiology. 1999;20:1180-1181
- Sven-Ivar Seldinger: biography and bibliography. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1984;142:4. [PMID 6362374]
- Doby T. A tribute to Sven-Ivar Seldinger. American Journal of Roentgenology. 1984;142: 1-4.
- Testimonials to Seldinger. American Journal of Roentgenology. 1984;142: 8-11.
the person behind the name