Framing the issue: when climate change is a medical emergency with Hugh Montgomery
The climate crisis is a healthcare crisis.
Humans aren’t wired for connecting immediate pleasure (unprotected sex, alcohol, drugs, cigarettes) with some ethereal medium-term risk. As a result, ‘public health campaigns’ rarely work.
Meanwhile, we make decisions far less based on ‘fact’ than on ’emotion’. When did you ever see a chocolate ad telling you about the ingredients?
This may be why we have failed to convince public or politicians alike to take action on climate change.
Hugh discusses such issues from his personal work in the climate change field over 20 years, giving examples of what he has tried – and why most of what he has done has failed.
- Professor Hugh Montgomery on Twitter; Speaker Profile; Amazon profile
- Mastering Intensive Care 049 with Hugh Montgomery
- SMACC 2019 – Is climate crisis a medical emergency?
- SMACC 2019 – Muscle wasting in ICU
- SMACC 2019 – What is Creativity?
- Book: Control by Hugh Montgomery (2019)
- Book: My First MRCP Book by Hugh Montgomery (2009)
- Book: Cloudsailors by Hugh Montgomery (2005)
- Book: The Voyage of the Arctic Tern by Hugh Montgomery (2002)
- Hugh Montgomery on Desert Island discs…and with Robert Elms
- Beddington E. Physician, ultrarunner, thriller writer. 2019
- Hodges M. Professor Hugh Montgomery. 2019
- Coda is a community tackling the most urgent healthcare challenges, that need action, now.
- The first event will be in Melbourne 28.10.19 – 02.10.19
- Join us