Thomas Porter McMurray (1887 – 1949) was a British orthopaedic surgeon.
Esteemed English orthopaedic surgeon based in Liverpool. McMurray was honoured by the presidencies of the British Orthopaedic Association and the Liverpool Medical Institution, and was president-elect of the British Medical Association. He continued the teaching traditions laid down by Hugh Owen Thomas (1834 – 1891) and Robert Jones (1857-1933).
McMurray was exemplified British reluctance to commit clinical observation to writing until confirmed after many years. His writings were therefore few, but they were important.
Eponymously affiliated with the McMurray test first published 1942
- Born 5 December 1887, Belfast
- 1910 – MB ChB BAO Belfast
- 1914 – Captain in RAMC
- 1915 – Alder Hey Military Orthopaedic Hospital, Liverpool
- 1923 – FRCS Edinburgh
- 1930 – Director of orthpoaedic studies at David Lewis Northern Hospital, Royal Liverpool Children’s Hospital, Ministry of Pensions Hospital taking over from Robert Jones (1857-1933)
- 1939 – Liverpool’s first professor of orthopaedics,
- 1946 – Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Died 16 November 1949, London
When doing nothing he did it thoroughly, and to see him sitting in the sun at his beloved Ystrad “ cottage,” gazing at the Denbighshire hills, was an education in relaxation.
- McMurray test (1942) used to evaluate individuals for tears in the meniscus of the knee
- McMurray TP. Certain injuries in the knee. Br Med J. 1934 Apr 21;1(3824):709-13.
- McMurray TP. Surgery of Deformities Resulting from War Injuries of the Extremities. Postgrad Med J. 1940 May;16(175):168-73.
- McMurray TP. Delay in the Union of Fractures. Br Med J. 1942 Jan 3;1(4226):8-9.
- McMurray TP. The semilunar cartilages. Br J Surg, 1942; 29: 407–414. [McMurray test]
- McMurray TP. Thomas and his splint. Br Med J. 1946 Jun 8;1:872-5.
- Biography: McMurray, Thomas Porter (1887 – 1949). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Obituary: “THOMAS PORTER McMURRAY, C.B.E., M.Ch., F.R.C.S.” Bone & Joint Journal 31-B.4 (1949): 618-619.
- McFarland B. The life and work of Thomas Porter McMurray. Liverpool University Press 1958.
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. Springer; 2005: 229-230. 2005
the person behind the name