Heart HQ: Atrial fibrillation
Heart HQ – Episode 19: Atrial fibrillation
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia that we see in our patients. In this podcast, we explain the different types of AF – new onset, paroxysmal, persistent or chronic – and how to determine if someone might have AF.
We also discuss the management of AF, such as oral anticoagulant therapy, and whether to follow a ‘rate’ or ‘rhythm’ control strategy.
Show notes: Episode 19
Further reading on HeartHQ
- Permanent pacemaker. HeartHQ
- Implantable defibrillator. HeartHQ
- Wiesbauer F. Atrial Fibrillation Management Essentials. Medmastery
- Nickson C. Atrial fibrillation. CCC LITFL
- Nickson C. Atrial Fibrillation DDx. CCC LITFL
- Burns E, Buttner R. Atrial Fibrillation. ECG Library, LITFL
- Buttner R, Burns E. Atrial flutter, ECG Library, LITFL
- Buttner R. Atrial fibrillation/flutter in pre-excitation. ECG Library, LITFL
- Ashman Phenomenon (1947) with Prof Richard Ashman
If you would like us to cover something in particular, please email us we’d love to hear from you!
Or find us on
MBBS (Hons) FRACP FCSANZ. Peter is a clinical and interventional cardiologist with various special interests including coronary angioplasty and stenting, endovascular procedures and structural heart interventions. He studied and trained in Queensland and completed a Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology and Vascular Diagnosis in Boston, MA.
Peter returned home to become Director of Cardiology at Sunshine Coast Hospital, before becoming a founding partner and managing director of HeartHQ
BSc (Hons) MBBS FRACP FCSANZ. Stuart is an interventional cardiologist and structural heart specialist. He has a special interest in treating complex and previously untreatable coronary artery disease, and a passion for distal radial artery access for coronary angiography and stenting.
After completing his training in Brisbane and Perth with an interventional cardiology fellowship, he returned to paradise to take up cardiology consulting at various local hospitals and now is a director of HeartHQ.