Leo George Rigler (1896 – 1979) was an American radiologist.
Worked with the World Health Organization to improve clinical radiology in developing countries including India, Iran and Israel. Published over 200 articles and edited six books
First to point out that the decubitus position was very useful in the diagnosis of small pleural effusions of as little as 100 mL of fluid
Eponymously affiliated with Rigler sign; Rigler triad and Hoffman-Rigler sign
- Born 16 October 1896, Minneapolis
- 1920 – MD, University of Minnesota
- 1934 – certified by the American Board of Radiology (68th member)
- 1937 – chairman of radiology at the University of Minnesota (held until 1957)
- 1963 – professor of radiology at the University of California
- Died 25 October 1979
- an ectopic gallstone causing
- partial or complete small bowel obstruction, and
- pneumobilia and/or gallbladder lumen gas
Hoffman-Rigler sign (1965) radiological sign of left ventricular enlargement based on the distance between the inferior vena cava (IVC) and left ventricle (LV).
- Rigler LG. Roentgen diagnosis of small pleural effusion. JAMA. 1931;96(2):104-108.
- Rigler LG. Spontaneous pneumoperitoneum: a roentgenologic sign found in the supine position. Radiology 1941; 37: 604–607 [Rigler sign]
- Rigler LG, Borman CN, Noble JF. Gallstone obstruction: pathogenesis and roentgen manifestations. JAMA. 1941; 117(21): 1753-1759. [Rigler Triad]
- Rigler LG. A roentgen study of the evolution of carcinoma of the lung. J Thorac Surg. 1957 Sep;34(3):283-97; [PMID 13463928]
- Rigler LG. Functional roentgen diagnosis: anatomical image—physiological interpretation. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1959; 82:1–24
- Hoffman R, Rigler L. Evaluation of the left ventricular enlargement in the lateral projection of the chest. Radiology 1965: 85: 93–100.
- Kanne JP, Rohrmann CA Jr, Lichtenstein JE. Eponyms in radiology of the digestive tract: historical perspectives and imaging appearances. Part I. Pharynx, esophagus, stomach, and intestine. Radiographics. 2006 Jan-Feb;26(1):129-42. [PMID 16418248]
- Heitzman ER Leo G. Rigler, MD: a personal perspective. Radiology. 2004 Oct;233(1):13-4. [PMID 15333762]
- Linton O. Leo G. Rigler. J Am Coll Radiol. 2005 Dec;2(12):1040-1. [PMID 17411991]
- Levine MS, Scheiner JD, Rubesin SE, Laufer I, Herlinger H (1991) Diagnosis of pneumoperitoneum on supine abdominal radiographs. AJR Am J Roentgenol 156(4):731–735
- Lewicki AM. The Rigler sign and Leo G. Rigler. Radiology. 2004 Oct;233(1):7-12. [PMID 15333763]
the person behind the name