Comms Lab: Micro-Management
Comms Lab: Episode 43
How to Manage A Micro-Manager (Part A)
In this video I dive into the academic literature on how to manage a micro-manager. I also draw on my own experience and the experience of others to provide some suggestions for an approach that is both evidence-based and workable in the real world.
This is the first video in a two part series on Micro-Management. Watch Part B next…
Got feedback for me? Great! I’m always trying to make my videos better and more relevant. Let me know what you think in the comments section, or anonymously via jotform
0:00 – What to expect in the video
1:24 – Why am I talking about Micro-Management
2:49 – A word about the academic literature…
4:02 – What do you mean by “Micro-Management”?
6:29 – The personal effect, and our response.
- Rock D, Ringleb Al H. Handbook of NeuroLeadership. 2013
- Willink J. Leadership Strategy and Tactics: Field Manual. 2020
- J-F Manzoni, J-L Barsoux. The Set-Up-To-Fail Syndrome: How Good Managers Cause Great People to Fail. 2002
- Gallo A. Stop Being Micro-Managed. Harvard Business Review, Sept 22, 2011
- Ashkenas R. Why People Micro-Manage. Harvard Business Review, Nov 15, 2011
- Richards H. De-escalating Challenging Emotions in Others – A Battle-Tested Approach. 2022
- Richards H. 5 Skills for Validating Other’s Emotion to Access Their Best Self. 2022
- Richards H. The Commonest Mistake in Responding to Emotion. 2022
More from the Comms Lab
A path to highly effective communication skills
Hayden is an emergency physician at University Hospital Geelong and a senior lecturer at Deakin University, Geelong. He is somewhat obsessed with the science and art of effective communication, and in particular: difficult conversations. He believes that we can all get better at having difficult conversations, and that the process of learning to do so can be seriously fun.
Hayden is also an avid but terrible surfer, ad hoc gardener, and dad to two awesome kids. | LinkedIn |